Wednesday, July 30, 2008

pitchfork- saturday

I took my Cannon 35mm from the 80s to take pictures, which explains the lack of upclose, high-definition portraits. I sadly fucked up my first roll, so I'm missing a few. Luckily I had my crappy digital camera as backup, all 5 megapixes of it! Full set here

1:30 - Jay Reatard. Got to watch this while waiting in the rain for Caribou. I'm pretty excited about this new surge of garage rock. Jay Reatard is on the far, more punk end of things.
Jay Reatard - "See Saw" [via Pitchfork]

2:00 - Caribou. They took a while to set up, but it was well worth it when the sun came out to "Melody Day." The sad thing about seeing a band like Caribou live is that my favorite parts of their music are the small details, none which are fully realized at a live show. Most of the songs were a little bass heavy, but "She's the One" was perfect.
Caribou - "She's The One (Kelley Polar Remix)" [zshare]
(warning: incredibly silly)


3:00 - Fleet Foxes. Definitely on the rise. Down in the photo pit, everyone was surprised at how intense the sub woofer was for a cute indie folk set. Towards the end of the set, I left and got a popsicle from The Ice Cream Man and sat in the shade. Absolutely perfect.
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal (Black Dominoes Remix) [zshare]

3:15 - Fuck Buttons. Stopped by to grab a picture. Sort of a disappointing lack of energy.

4:00 - Dizzee Rascal. Only got to see a bit from the side stage, but the crowd was a complete dance party.
Dizzee Rascal & Calvin Harris - "That's Not My Name (Ting Tings Cover)" [zshare]

4:15 - The Ruby Suns. Our favorites! They came up to Middlebury College in April for WRMC's Sepomena. Sadly, this time it was just Ryan and Amee, no Imogen. Losing a third of the performance was disappointing, but I'm still a sucker for their afro-beat/polynesian Beach Boy vibe.
Ruby Suns - "Gibble" [zshare]


5:00 - Vampire Weekend. My second time to see them in a month. Their performance was incredibly tight, but exactly the same as their Bonnaroo set. Frontman/Dreamboat Ezra does some pretty silly commentary. At Bonnaroo he asked the crowd, "Do you guys believe in collective conscious? It's science.." None of that at Pitchfork, but he did make us sing along.


6:00 - !!!. This was my first time seeing !!!, and I was not disappointed. Even the photo pit was dancing and singing along. They all have such an energetic, contagious stage presence, it's impossible to not have fun.


7:00 - The Hold Steady. I'll be honest, I'm really not a Hold Steady fan. I don't dislike them, but they've never really grabbed me. Incredibly talented, though, and I enjoyed their show more than their albums.


7:30 - Atlas Sound. He started late, but was on stage talking to the crowd and smoking for a while. I don't know if anyone beyond the pit and front row heard him, but he just went on for a while about how he was building a studio and hadn't really had time to put together a set. Instead, he just led us through a very "organic" set, which was really just all over the place. Had some pretty moments, and his music definitely fits this kind of performance, but I still felt like we missed out a bit.
Atlas Sound - "My Car" [zshare]


8:25 - No Age. Leaders in the garage rock revival, and by far my favorites. I love their sound: grunge rock with pop's energy and melodies.


Left to right: Geologist, Avery Tare, Panda Bear
9:00 - Animal Collective. Oh, dear god. I have been waiting to see Animal Collective for so long. The disappointing thing about Animal Collective is, like my family, they're never there all at once. We had Panda Bear, Geologist and Avery Tare. Has anyone even seen Deakin? They tackled Panda Bear's "Comfy in Nautica" as well as AC's "Fireworks" and their new song "Lion in a Coma." Check out those crazy lights! I was about to have a seizure in the pit.
Animal Collective - "Purple Bottle (Stevie Wonder Version)" [zshare]



And then I went and got some pizza.

No comments: