Friday, May 23, 2008

A little bit more 8-bit

After tracking down some more 8-bit stuff yesterday, I stumbled upon a few articles attacking one of my favorite bands, Crystal Castles. Apparently CC has ripped off a bunch of 8bit stuff, such as lo-bat's "My little droid needs a Hand." It goes beyond just sampling, which the 8bit community is cool with, and steals a bunch of chunks, including rhythms and structures. Not cool. If you want to check it out yourself, heres the links to the two tracks.

Crystal Castles - Insecticon

Lo-Bat - My Little Droid Needs a Hand

When I listened, they clearly sound wayyyy too similar for it to be ok. As if my dreams werent shattered enough, there seems to be a huge controversy between CC and artist Trevor Brown over CC's alleged stealing of art for use on their tshirts and albums. Once again, not cool.
Heres the picture in question.


Its a picture of Madonna with a black eye. Wonderful. However, CC refuses to give credit where credit is due, and have just generally been dicks about the whole situation. Not fun.

But ok, enough of the anti-CC rant. I still love their music. Kind of like how you can hate McDonalds for making your friends fat, but still love the cheap, delicious food. Mmhm.

Heres a couple consolation tracks

Crystal Castles - Untrust Us

Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating (zShare)

Well, this post didnt end up with as much 8bit music as I was planning. Ill try to throw some up tomorrow, if i get the time. Then i promise ill hop off 8bit's jock for a little bit.
laters

No comments: